Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Use Your Words!

I try not to be too self-indulgent in my posts, to use this as a platform to gripe about pet-peeves, or to take up personal issues. But, I have to take a moment to address a disturbing trend. It's this tendency for people to type in Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. the non-word "Meh." What the hell is that?! I know it is an attempt to spell a guttural utterance, a grumbling sound. But why? I find it incredibly annoying that this is getting legs under it such that it's become a "thing."

Have we truly lost the ability to communicate verbally? Are we reduced to muttering and mumbling responses? It reminds me of a practice in Montessori schools. When your child is developing their verbal skills and you begin cultivating your spoken communication you are taught to instruct your child to "use your words" rather than grunting and pointing to get across what they want or need. I am beginning to think speaking, along with writing, is becoming a lost art.

Being able to express yourself effectively is crucial to survival in the business world. More and more companies are recognizing the short-comings of their employees and enrolling them in training to improve their written and verbal skills. I think the same needs to happen for us in our personal relationships as well. We need to start holding seminars on "The Dictionary: It's Not Just a Foot Rest," or "Wordplay: It's the New Foreplay," or "Grunting Is For After You Get Me In Bed," or "A Thesaurus is Not a Giant Lizard." (I actually have that one on a bumper sticker!)

Language is so incredibly nuanced as it is, when we stop using actual words altogether it makes it nearly impossible to discern what someone means and communication breaks down. Granted, tone and body language say a whole lot, but those easily can be misread. When you don't say what you mean (and mean what you say) how do you expect your relationships to survive, much less thrive?

So, start talking people! I'm not saying you have to run your mouth incessantly. (That's an issue for another blog day.) But, speak up and speak clearly. Instead of "Meh," say "No, I don't think so," or "Well, I'm not sure how I feel about that," or "Eww, that doesn't appeal to me," or "Maybe later." Any of those or a thousand other thoughts could be implied by that blurt, so use your words!

No comments:

Post a Comment