Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back pedaling? I think not!

Yesterday I blogged about our voyeuristic dependence on movies for romantic fulfillment. I'm not changing my tune for fear of backlash from the Hollywood establishment. I am, however, fine-tuning my statement. If you enjoy this particular genre of film, by all means, consume as much as possible until your little fake-butter-stained, popcorn-grabbing fingers can take no more. I am simply issuing a word of caution about getting so sucked in to this artificial world that you can't find satisfaction in your own.

American author Walker Percy once said the role of fiction is to "show man something of himself that he knows, but doesn't know he knows." I think that's what we can get from Romantic Comedies, and film in general. Viewed with the proper perspective, we can learn a lot about ourselves. We can discover aspects of ourselves we didn't realize were there: a sentimentality, a cynicism, a unique attraction, or an aversion we wouldn't have uncovered otherwise. The key is to know how to practically apply that information, that new understanding, to the real parts of our lives. Use it to grow and engage in your life rather than just wading through it.

I actually love Romantic Comedies. I'm a sucker, what can I say? And I'm not preaching from some lofty place of self-actualization. I am speaking from experience. But, I've learned no matter how you may try to orchestrate the most perfectly cinematic moment--the kind they would work into their next film should a movie mogul happen to see it--there will always be something to go awry. The girl will chip her tooth on the ring strategically hidden in the dessert. The guy will wrench his back trying to take you to ecstasy on the dining room table.

Even if you aren't shooting for those kinds of acrobatics, it rains when it wasn't predicted, your mom shows up unannounced, they get a nasty cold and can't make it. BUT, that shouldn't stop you from trying to cultivate romance and provide that experience for that special someone. Just remember to avoid highly-flammable fabrics and take bugspray, for heaven sake!

I think we put too much pressure on ourselves in relationships already, without the unachievable being set as our goal by external forces. Okay, so you want to impress. That's great, but let your goal be inspiration, not imitation. You need to BE natural, not ACT natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment