Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Most Successful Relationship

It's Mother's Day, and today I especially feel the burden of my privilege. Not because of what my child wants from me, but what I realize I can't give him. It's a day like today when I am keenly aware of my short-comings. It's a day like today when I feel especially inadequate to give him all he deserves. Today I feel the full measure of my responsibility and I am humbled he chose me to carry it, and him.

I wanted to give him a life free from strife. Instead, he got a heart that is so big he cares more than he can bear. I wanted to ensure he never suffered. Instead, he started his life struggling more than anyone should. I wanted to be perfect, to do it better than everyone who offered me advice. Instead, I have had to apologize at least once a day. I wanted him to know no pain. Instead, he's been wounded by those who should protect him.

Yet, in spite of all my failures, he continues to look to me for his security. He runs to me for comfort. He turns to me for advice. He leans on me when he needs strength. He wants me.

So, on this Mother's Day I am grateful that my best is good enough. I am thankful that all I am capable of giving is all he needs. I am joyful that together we are stronger than anything we have faced. Today, and everyday, I get to be a mom and that's everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment