Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fact, Fiction, or Faction?

So, my friend and I have both been in the unpleasant state of job-hunting lately. Talking with him yesterday, I explained that one of my biggest struggles with the whole job search is that I am not one to "inflate" or "pad" my resume. I will not talk up my attributes beyond what I feel is accurate. Yes, I understand that probably does not do me any favors, but I am less afraid of poverty than I am of talking my way into a job beyond my abilities.

I pitch my reality and if that's not enough, so be it. I had the happy occasion today to have an interview for which I was able to truthfully report personal success in every area that would be required of the position. I could honestly say, "I've done this and I've done it well. I am what you need, and what you want."

What does all of this have to do with relationship advice, you ask? Well, how often do we fall victim to the same pressure in dating? I find it really intriguing that I don't have that same confidence to say to someone who interests me: "I am what you need, and what you want." How often do any of us feel sure enough of who we are and what we have to offer to lay it down with such gusto? Or do we have a tendency to over-compensate and swing too far in the other direction? Do we over-promise and under-deliver?

In this age of online dating, the digital format of "getting to know one another" creates a perfect environment for that. In fact, I'd venture to say that it is a rarity to find a profile that is completely accurate. Don't get me wrong, just as with a job interview, you want to put your best foot forward, make a good impression.

You wouldn't show up to pitch yourself for a coveted spot with a prized company wearing your breakfast-stained pajamas and tell them you probably won't show up 27% of the time. In the same vein, who is going to choose for their profile pic the accidental snapshot taken by the phone when it dropped? Or fill out that ridiculous questionnaire on a day when you are sick, fresh out of a break-up, or PMS-ing?

Everyone wants to make a good impression, and that's important. The key is that you present the best version of your true self, not a distorted fabrication of who you think they want you to be. Perhaps, a little faction is in order -- that perfect blend of truth with a flourish.

So, ask yourself: How honest do you expect someone to be? What omitted bits of information (however dull) are a deal breaker? Is it better to be a story-teller or an accountant? Do you want the raw numbers or is it okay to gild the occasional lily?

No comments:

Post a Comment