Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fixer-Upers

Well, my blog about Barbie prompted some interesting discussion about what men and women really want. It got me thinking about the expectations we set out before us as we start dating. We have standards -- physical and personality features that are a must, social status or ideals we can't live without. We start out with a mental checklist, or if we are online dating, a profile that takes three hours to fill out.

As time goes by we start to whittle away at those requirements and maybe tall, dark, and handsome becomes average height, darkish, and good-looking. At some point, if we haven't found "him" it might be reduced to at least taller than me, what was the dark about anyway?, and it's not about the external beauty.

Yes, we start to settle. And, that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as we are not compromising on the things that really make a relationship work, the things that make for true compatibility. When we agree to a relationship with someone who doesn't measure up, the truth is it is usually with the ill-conceived notion that we can change them. It makes me want to scream what I do in horror movies: "DON'T GO IN THAT ROOM!!"

It's like going into a merger that is supposedly mutually beneficial only to find out half the existing staff is eliminated as soon as the contracts are signed and S.O.P. is completely overridden. You can't do inter-personal relationships like a hostile take-over. It is important to recognize that people are flawed and you can either live with it or you can't. If the other person is also cognizant of their short-comings and wants to make those changes, you are encouraged to be there and support them in their efforts. But, marriage/life-time commitment is not about buying a fixer-uper.

The thing is, people don't change unless it is truly in their hearts to do so. If you choose someone who isn't right for you, hoping you can make them so, you will have a life of disappointment. You will find yourself retiring with someone you don't like and the only thing you have in common is a shared history of misery.

Being alone or dating through your 40s is not fun, but how can settling be any better? I'm very particular and I refuse to settle. But, I also don't think I'm unrealistic. Here's my list. He must:
  • be intelligent enough to keep up with me in conversation,
  • have my same strange sense of humor that is a combination of adolescent absurdity and intellectual banter,
  • have integrity and a sense of social justice,
  • be strong enough that he isn't pushed around by me (or anyone else) but wise enough to know how to pick his battles,
  • be kind and gentle but with an edge,
  • have, or at least be okay with, tattoos,
  • be taller than I am (my only shallow requirement).
There may not be anyone who can measure up and I may end up single for the rest of my life, but I know this: I'm too busy raising one boy to be a man to try and overhaul one who should already be there.

So, what are your expectations? What shapes them? What informs them? What causes you to modify them? And probably most important of all, what are your expectations for yourself? Are you living up to them? Should you reevaluate, and perhaps, elevate them? Is the person most in need of change you?

1 comment:

  1. "have, or at least be okay with, tattoos,
    be taller than I am (my only shallow requirement)"

    These made me smile.

    Good read, and good thoughts - thanks.

    ReplyDelete